Friday, July 22, 2011

Completely His


The verse and devotion today is a very comforting one I think.  The verse is found in 1 Corinthians 1:9.  “God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord” What does it mean to be faithful?  Usually we use this term in regards to attending church, paying our tithes, or a religious term. Or sometimes we use it in regards to marriage, a husband or wife being faithful to one another.  Being faithful means so much more.  It’s defined as, steady in allegiance or affection; loyal; constant; true to ones word, promises or vows.  This verse is stating that God is ALL those things.  What amazing traits to have!!  I also really like the part in this verse that says, “By whom ye were called unto the fellowship”.  God called us to be in fellowship with Him! J
 Fellowship is another word for friendship or companionship.  Friendship is nearly impossible to give a definition to because we all have our own meanings as to what a friend is.  Dictionary defines friendship as: a person known well to another with regard to liking, affection or intimacy; an ally in a fight, a supporter; someone you are in harmony with, understanding and accord.  I don’t know about you but if I’m looking for a friend, those are traits that I’d certainly like to have in that person. 
First, God is saying He is faithful, and then He goes on to say He’s called each of us to be in a friendship with Him.  Since all the traits I described are part of being a friend, why wouldn’t we want to be in fellowship with Him?  So many times we are looking for a friend we can trust, confide in, who will support us and help us fight our battles…well I just told you of the perfect friend.  J 
In John 15:13 - 16 , Jesus says, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.  Henceforth I call you not servant; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth; but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.  Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you…”
In case you forgot Jesus did the ultimate act of love.  He laid down his life for us!  The bible says that there is no greater love than that!  Wow!  How can you not feel all warm and fuzzy when you read that?  I was chosen by Him AND He calls me friend…

1 comment: